October 2016

My dearest family and friends,

Tomorrow is my 80ieth day in the US. Soo many things happened already and I met sooo many people.
Last Friday I was invited to come to the Marshfield High in the town next to Duxbury, to talk about my life at home and my experience here.
The whole event started on Thursday with a pizza party with the AFS club from Marshfield and the exchange students. We were about 8 exchange students and about 15 from the AFS club.
After the pizza party every exchange student went home with one of the AFS club members. My host for the next two nights was Mackenzie, a senior.
On Friday our day started very early because the school in Marshfield begins at 7:15 a.m. (People who know me well know how awful it is for me wake up at 6:00). We met at 7:10 in the library where my host mum works. The whole day we (the exchange students) were going from class to class and answered their questions they prepared. At the beginning it was really fun but by the time it was really exhausting, because we had to talk all the time and we had to answer to mostly the same questions on and on.
After the school day finally ended, the kids from the AFS club took us first to the beach, then to the house where I was hosted in because it started to rain. After that we went to another girl's house to carve pumpkins which was a loooot of fun! And of course there was food (good food).
After some of the exchange students carved a pumpkin for the first time in their lives, we went to a food plays for dinner. I was really tired and exhausted but the AFS club had a busy schedule planed for us so there was not much time to take a break. After the food place we went bowling, which was a lot of fun too! At the end of the very long day we went to a frozen yogurt shop. That was the last activity of the day, which means we went back to Mackenzie's house.
I went to bed at round 12:30 a.m.. That day, I was almost awake for 24 hours and I almost collapsed at the end of the day, because I was so tired. Although I was very exhausted at the end of the day, I had a lot of fun and I was very glad that I went to this event.
The next day, Mackenzie dropped me off at Ayesha's house. She is an exchange student from Pakistan and her host parents are AFS volunteers. At her house, we had our first AFS orientation with our South-East district. We are eleven exchange students in this little area. The exchange students are from all over the world: Hansa, Eve and Mint from Thailand, Yang(the only boy) from China, Ami and Reika from Japan, Ayesha from Pakistan, Jazmin from Paraguay and Mavi and Gilly from Italy and of course me from Switzerland.
All the exchange students are from completely different cultures and see so many thing in a completely different way, but at the end we have a very similar experience and that why we all get along very very well. They are all wonderful people and they all understand you for 100%. To have the opportunity to talk with so different people about their culture and the differences about their lives here or at home is amazing! I could talk with them for days and I wouldn't be bored at all. We are like a family for each other.
After the orientation: a few games, long talks and some important informations, was a host family- AFS club- exchange student dinner. That was awesome too! The only thing that was awful was when all the exchange students had to sing their national anthem in front of everybody. That was so embarrassing I still can't believe that I really did it.

Otherwise there is not much to tell...
The past few school weeks were not very exciting and so were the weekends.
I still have a lot of homework and many tests, but I learned to not put too much pressure on myself because that just doesn't make any sense, since it is not my first language and I am at least trying.

The field hockey season is over and I'll have now a practice break for a month until the winter sports season starts. I'm going to play basketball then.

Yesterday I had to do the pep band for the football game. The pep band is the band you see in the american movies at basketball or football games. It was very very cold.

I also had my first concert with the band I am in. The concert itself wasn't that good but the fun part was that we went after the concert in our ugly concert-dresses to McDonalds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo9hKyyK8z8  --> from minute 20 is my band & at the end is the grand finale with all the three band levels.

The last two weeks it got rapidly colder and we had a few mornings around 1 degree celsius. I still don't have my winter clothes but I ordered them today. On Wednesday it snowed the first time in Massachusetts. Not in Duxbury, but since Massachusetts is not that big it is pretty close.

I think that was everything interesting from my life during October, when I remember something else I'll add it.
Please forgive me my grammar or spelling faults.

Lots of love to my family and friends,
Nadia

Mackenzie and I


Bowling with the AFS club

The south-east district exchange students
left to right back: Yang, Hansa, Mint, Reika, Eve.
left to right middle: Giulia(Gilly) and I.
Left to right front: Ami, Mavi, Jazmin, Ayesha.


At the beach with some exchange students and some of the AFS club

Ayesha made henna tattoos on hands and arms from all over the world


Pizza party on Thursday night with the AFS club

South-East district exchange students

Mavi and I

Mavi, Hansa and I

Mavi and I at the beach

Pumpkin carving

Italian swiss sandwich:
Gilly, me and Mavi

SE exchange students

Henna tattoo in progress

My band at the concert.

The grand finale with all three bands on the stage playing all together

McDonalds after the concert

After the concert at McDonalds



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May: Prom, Orientation, last full month

March update

Snow, Skiing and NYC!